Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Yoga Practicing Vegetarian by Chad Rollins

I could jump right in with a catchy topic sentence (if the title hasn't already caught your eye) and tell you straightaway what my favorite genre is; however, I feel it would be much more interesting to describe one singer which I am sure you will know.

Live your life with death and all of his friends, but make sure your life is always in Technicolor. Stroll the cemeteries of London (but do not find yourself lost), and then become a lover in Japan while you are riding your strawberry swing. If you have not guessed by now, the singer is the semi-depressed, but yoga practicing vegetarian known as Chris Martin.
Whether it is the creativeness of the "British Whiners," or maybe it is just the catchiness of the music, no matter what they do, Coldplay and bands alike are a strong favorite of mine. The feeling that art rock gives you is almost orgasmic, for lack of a better word. Art rock takes you to a special place, one where you feel like you can paint a masterpiece, regardless of your painting abilities. Maybe the chord progression places you in some sort of trance, one which makes you want to name your child (or future children) after fruit.
Love it, or maybe you hate it, but even the haters cannot help but to tap along to the catchy beats. From fast tempos with a syncopated yell that is in tune, or to the slower songs with heart melting melodies, no one can resist. Partially what makes art rock, or the "Whiners," great is that they have an emotional appeal to everyone, including me.
No, it is true, art rock does not influence me enough to want to become a vegetarian, practice yoga, name someone as fruit, date a blonde girl, or get involved in political matters; but it does move me. Sometimes art rock makes me want to dance, or sing. At other times it just takes me to a solemn place where I can be myself. Simply stated, art rock is inspirational music. British whiners, keep on whining.

No comments: