Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Pleasures of Grunge by James Goad

It is the early 90's, a time of prosperity, happiness, no worries, but there was something else brewing in the dreary corner of the United States. This place that I am talking about is Seattle, Washington, the breeding ground of grunge. This new type of sound was a haven to the young, angry minds o the 90's teens. It gave teens a reason to be angry, sad, and rebellious. I was introduced to this magical sound by my parents who were really into bands such as Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam.
While you listened to the music it gave you a sense of belonging in the world. It is weird how grunge sounds very dreary and dark but it acted as a light to young America. At the time there was Oasis but Nirvana blew their sound out of the water with hard hitting riffs and pure, angry rock. Many people say that grunge is crap music and that it served no purpose; well that is just mentally challenged. The bands playing the music presented words to teens around the United States that they were either afraid to say or didn't know how to say it. The kids wanted freedom and they got it with grunge. It was such a surprise to all the righteous people and the teens were basking in the glory of rebellion. They fell in love with lyrics such as "Here we are now entertain us"-- Nirvana.
This simple but very meaningful lyric was an anthem for the youth. Every time I hear that song it takes me back to the 90's and I wish I was older and could have been a bigger contributing factor of the short success of what was grunge. I love how this music wasn't about hit making it was true feelings and what they were going through with struggles of drug addition or family problems. It was the best way they could think of to get their feelings off their chest. It gave such a good connection to the band their cult followers. You had the sense that after the show you could party with the band and they would not be jerks and blow you off. That is why I enjoy this genre because the connection you have with the music. This will always be my favorite genre of music and I'm glad I could listen to it in its prime.

No comments: